Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb


Here we go. Last night I started reading the last book of the Liveship Traders trilogy. I'm torn between being upset that I'm about to finish this incredible series and elated that I'm going to find out what happens in the end. At the moment I have no clue how the plot is going to unravel, but in Hobb I trust.

I have to admit, however, that the trilogy lacks something that the Assassin books had. I can't put my finger on it. Nevertheless, I bow my head to Hobb. There isn't a fantasy author out there who comes even close to doing what she does with the genre.

The truly amazing thing is that with so many characters and so many branches of the plot intertwined together, the story works as smoothly as clockwork. No mater how complicated the plot gets, how many new characters are added, the whole thing comes together as crystal clear as is possibly imaginable.

I still have my reservations about Amber, though. I hang on to her every word and do a climb up the walls with excitement every time she mentions her past, and yet she makes me miss the Fool with an intensity that is heartwrenching.

Another thing that bothers me a little is the fact that "Mad Ship" and "Ship of Magic" have more fantasy elements to them then any other of Hobb's books. As much as I like dragons, the feel of a historical epic is what I value most about Hobb's work. "Mad Ship" and "Ship of Magic" are no longer dominated by that feel.

No comments: