Sunday, December 6, 2009

Reading (and LOVING) at the moment...



"Assassin's Apprentice" of the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb
Actually, I'm re-reading it. I first read the book about 5 years ago. Then swiftly moved on to the second one from the trilogy and... couldn't finish it. "The Royal Assassin", or rather it's first half, dragged on painfully slow and I just couldn't take it. It turned out, however, that I stopped at the very point where the plot started to pick up the pace. People who actually finished it told me that from that point on the story got even more interesting/twisted/great/heartstopping than "Assassin's Apprentice" (which is hard to believe). Well, a few days ago I decided to reread the series and, this time, finish it. So far so good!

There are several reasons why I love this book (at this point I'm only talking about "Assassin's Apprentice"):

1. It's been hailed by many to be the greatest fantasy novel (series)
since The Lord of the Rings. I agree completely. The plot, the pacing, the writing style, the character... It's breathtaking!

2. It's INCREDIBLY well written. And I'm not just comparing it to Twilight (Stephanie Meyers's grammar and spelling will melt your brain). Robb's language is rich and beautiful, and reminiscent of Tolkien's. It's a pleasure to read.

3. It doesn't read like a Fantasy novel. The actual hardcore fantasy bit doesn't happen until the end of the third book (I haven't read it but I heard rumors, OK?). It reads like a historical novel. It's so good it makes me cry.

Cover Art for the French Graphic adaptation of the trilogy.

So beautiful! It's on my Christmas list.











No comments: