Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Book List: The last 5 books I read.

{the latest listed first}

"The Witch of Portobello" by Paulo Coelho


There is quite a lot I want to say about this book, but I'd also like to keep it short. Paulo Coelho is one of my favorite writers. He has a very special place in my heart, that no other writer has ever had. I feel something close to worship towards him as a writer and a person. In light of this fact it may come as a surprise to any Godforsaken soul that is reading this blog that I have only read 4 of his book over the past 5 years. There is, however, a perfectly good reason for this. I treat his books as a sort of medicine - I only read them when I am really down and can find any source of inspiration or hope anywhere else. I suppose I was lucky to only be in these sort of situations only 4 times since 2004. And yes, I was feeling quite depressed lately. So I read "The Witch of Portobello". And yes, it helped. While it didn't tell me anything I didn't know, it assured me that I was going in the right direction, and that I was going to make it through. It also summarized my beliefs about religion, belief and church so perfectly, I couldn't possible put it better myself. Well, so much for short and sweet... "The Witch of Portobello" is an inspirational and uplifting read. That's another thing I love about Coelho books - no matter how from and depressing the story is, the ending makes you glad to be alive.

As a side-note the four Coelho books I've read so far are: "The Alchemist", "Veronica Decides to Die", "11 Minutes" and "The Witch of Portobello"



"The Stranger" by Albert Camus


Obviously, I couldn't wait to read another Camus book. But I had to let the glorious aftertaste of "The Plague" fade. (Not that it did, mind you. But it was necessary to take a short break). After I finished "1984", I was so desperate to read "The Stranger" that wasting time by going to the bookstore wasn't an option. So I did what I (almost)never do. I downloaded a PDF version. Blasphemy! The worst of all sacrilege! Well, I was desperate, you see. I didn't expect "The Stranger" to have the same effect on me as "The Plague" had, but after reading the former I feel like I have a better understanding of the latter. Camus' books are interconnected (or at least that's how I understand it) and deeply personal. Now I have another piece of the Albert Camus Puzzle.



"1984" by George Orwell


(Almost) any book that landed in my greedy hands after "The Plague" was bound to be a disappointment. And "1984" kind of was one. I say 'kind of' because it did draw me in towards the end. Overall, however, it wasn't very interesting or thought provoking. I didn't even find it depressing, just outdated, dull and pointless.



"The Plague" by Albert Camus


Sometimes going to the store and randomly (not even based on the attractiveness of the cover) grabbing a book from the shelf can really bloody pay off. I can hardly remember loving any book so much for the past few years, or being so greatly upset by the death of my favorite character (since around 2004 - a certain prisoner with a certain godson... I know it's childish. Piss off.). "The Plague" is now one of my favorite books - second after "The Master and Margarita", and Albert Camus is one of my favorite writers (either #2 or #3, I can't decide). I'd recommend it to everyone. It got the Noble Prize you know.



"Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley


I got off to a rather slow start, but eventually got so sucked in, I couldn't put the book down.

Currently reading:

I wasn't particularly excited to start this book. Actually I really wanted to read "Dracula" after I finished "Frankenstein" (and I hardly ever have any specific theme when I go on reading binges - so this was a big one). I ran to the store on my lunch break, found the book and... didn't get it. I couldn't bring myself to buy it because of the awful cover design. The white/orange penguin copy I have now obviously isn't a work of art, but that one was really really bad. And it was the only option available. Well, here I am, some four books later. Like I said, I'm not nearly as excited now as I was, but I'm beginning to enjoy it. Sort of. I hope I won't give up reading "Dracula". I hate stopping a few chapters in, and I can never start again. The last time it happened with "Vanity Fair". Not my brand of vodka...


As a bonus here's a cover design by Mattias Mackler. I'm a fan.

No comments: